Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Ice-Cream Vendor

I had reached half-an-hour early. At a deserted place in the outskirts of Dwarka (Delhi) waiting to pick-up the special one in my life and there was nothing for me to do, except WAIT....

Then I saw an ice cream vendor.

Thought, lets eat an ice cream. I yelled, “arrey bhaiyya” and called him towards myself and he rattled off the menu. I chose Pista Kulfi.

As I was paying him I noticed he was also free with no customers around.

बन्दे को क्या चाहिए! एक मुर्गा !!

So, I leggo!

Here are excerpts translated from Hindi:

Me: What is your name?
Vendor: Vijay
Me: How old are you?
Vijay: Sixteen
Me: How long have you been selling ice-cream?
Vijay: 1 1/2 years

Me: Who else is there in you family?
Vijay: Parents and younger brother.
Me: How much do you earn?
Vijay: Rs. 100 plus a day
Me: How much have you studied?
Vijay: Fifth standard
Me: Do you know English?
Vijay: No

Me: Why did you leave school?
Vijay: In the village, I had a fight with my cousins, so left village and came here.
Me: Want to study again?
Vijay: Perhaps
Me: See, if you study, you can earn much more. Maybe not immediately, but after sometime. So, get enrolled in a school.
Vijay: OK

Me: So, you want to study?
Vijay: Yes
Me: Which school will you take admission?
Vijay: Mount Carmel School, where I sell ice cream.
Me: Hmmm. OK, try more schools also.
Vijay: Can you help?
Me: Uh..Uh…OK let me check. Give me your telephone number.
Vijay: Here it is. Can I have yours?
Me: Sure. When will you take admission?
Vijay: After summer vacations.
Me: No, you have to talk to schools now. Not later.
Vijay: OK
Me: When will you go?
Vijay: Day-after-tomorrow
Me: OK, I will come back and ask you.

So, what I do with a 16 year old, who wants to start studying again almost from scratch.

He wants to work and study.

Any suggestions?

No comments: